Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Relative Minors

In the last performance, a magical scrap of knowledge was granted unto me by the heavens in the form of an unintentional accident!  It really was an exciting moment, contributing to a very exciting morning where I participated in a skit, met a girl from lake Michigan... and witnessed a really emotional sermon.  You see, it was communion Sunday, which is a monthly activity that really means a lot to people.  I got to play a traditional Spanish hymn, "una espiga" during the communion.  I was gently strumming chords, it was a low key, dreamy kind of lullaby hymn... and on the last chord of the phrase, I hit the wrong chord.  Every time this had previously happened to me, it was an awkward mistake, a deviation from the song.  But this time, my mistake sounded better than the original chord.
Was it holy intervention? I had just munched on the eternal body of Christ, but actually I had just mistakenly played the relative minor of the chord that was intended to end the phrase of musical melody.  A relative minor is a chord that is heard in a way that is synonymous with it's specific major chord.  The major chord that was written in the ending of that phrase was F major, also the keynote of this particular song.  When I reverted to D minor, the ending of that phrase was melodically intensified and unresolved.  I sang out that final note long in harmony with the D minor and then resolved and ended the song by exhaling the tension back on F.
So, I guess this scrap of information is just something that I can use for writing songs, or adding flavor to songs I already know.  More updates on performances very soon.

1 comment:

  1. Ake, I've enjoyed catching up on your blog, and this post represents you so well. Loved your performance in class too! I hope to see you play again in the future.

    ReplyDelete