Tuesday, April 15, 2014

JC Talent Show

A bit more than 2 weeks ago, I was lucky to come by the opportunity to play music for 15 minutes at a talent show that was part of a Brazilian Exchange Student connect at Jackson College... It was an amazing night, and my show was pretty good! I performed 3 original songs and a sappy cover along with rappers, dancers, Brazilian guitar players and a fantastic African drum ensemble.
Now, I had about a week to prepare for this show, and of course I put off writing it until the night before the show.  I ran into very big problems in filling up the 15 minutes because I didn't want to play covers, and only one original with lyrics came to my mind.  There were also extraneous matters of socio-political commentary flying around in my head at the prospect of 15 minutes influence on people...
What I came up with in the end was 4 songs, 2 of which I wrote the lyrics the night before.  I also prepared loose sketches of talking to the audience in between my songs.  I tried to make my entire performance tie together into a message of sorts, and I modestly say it came out 60% clearly.  This was due to lack of preparation and practice.
But on the Very Bright Side, this was the direction I was looking for to advance the creativity and originality of my shows.  I will follow this up with posts on HOW I'm going to script some kick ass shows...

No comments:

Post a Comment